Bayonetta is a video game developed by PlatinumGames in cooperation with Sega. It was released to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in Japan of October 29 2009, North America and Europe in January 5 and 8 2010, bundled with Bayonetta 2 for the Wii U in 2014, and on PC in 2017, followed by a release on the Switch (again, with Bayonetta 2) in 2018.
Bayonetta, a witch awakened from a 500 year-old slumber and has amnesia, must fight the angels of Paradiso to obtain the Right Eye, a magic jewel that is paired with the Left Eye to form the Eyes of the World.
Why It Rocks
- Combat is easy to learn but doesn't affect challenge.
- Impressive boss battles.
- The Witch Time ability that activates when Bayonetta dodges an attack at the right moment. Witch Time causes time to slow down around her allowing her to easily perform combos on her enemies.
- Bayonetta can use both melee and ranged weapons to take down different types of opponents.
- Bayonetta can shapeshift into a number of beasts, the most common being a panther for swift travel and jumping over large gaps.
- Tons of unlockables and documents.
- Well thought out story.
- Bayonetta is a smart confident protagonist who shows no fear in the face of danger.
- Amazing graphics.
- Epic movie-level music.
- Even though the Easy modes are automatic, the gameplay is still fun and rewarding.
- Events during the game that will instantly kill you (such as a wave of fire chasing you and a collapsing bridge) and instant-death QTEs during some cutscenes.
- Button mashing segments barely fill up the meter unless you memorize the buttons.
- The game lowers your grade depending on how many items you use after beating a level, and if you use too many of them, you're guaranteed to get a Stone Trophy, the worst rank in the game.
PS3 Version Only
- Blurry washed-out graphics.
- Long and frequent load times (It loads when you pause the game, open the save menu).
- Unstable frame-rate that stutters between 15 and 55 frames per seconds endlessly.
- PlatinumGames considers this port to be their biggest failure and are considering the idea of disowning it.
Bayonetta is often considered a woman's power fantasy due to the fact that she doesn't require rescue, uses her sexuality to humiliate her enemies and saves the world by herself.
Edge gave this game a 10 out of 10.
Famitsu gave this game a 40 out of 40.
- Bayonetta Bloody Fate story was adapted from this game.
- Hideki Kamiya used Devil May Cry 4 as research for the combat of the game.
- This was one of the first in four games in a publishing deal with SEGA.