Heroes of Might and Magic III
Heroes of Might and Magic III is a turn-based strategy game developed by New World Computing and published by the 3DO Company in 1999. It received two expansions, one released later in 1999 and one in 2000. In 2015, it got a remaster for PC and iOS/Android tablets. The game is also available on GOG.com for 10$.
Plot (RoE Campaigns only)
You take control through seven campaigns of either the Good, Evil or Neutral alignments.
Why It Rocks
- Good soundtrack.
- The map editor allows you to create your own maps, and the campaign editor (included since Armagedoon's Blade) allows you to put your maps into one campaign with starting bonuses.
- You can play with eight different factions (nine if you count the Conflux from Armagedoon's Blade)
- Nice graphics.
- Fun gameplay.
- You can play with seven different people with HotSeat games or online to have much dangerous opponents.
- Lots of replay value thanks to Random Maps from the Armagedoon's Blade expansion.
- For the most part, the AI is okay.
- More replay value from the great fan made maps such as Wayfarer, Hail to the King, Shar's War (last two found in a 1500 map pack collection) etc.
- Mods that improve the game like the Horn of the Abyss.
- AI is dumb at times.
- The HD remaster is terrible.
Reception was positive. The game has 87% on GameRankings and 4.34/5 on GameFAQs. CGW (Computer Gaming World) gave it a 4.5/5 and CGM (Computer Gaming Magazine) gave it a 5/5. Despite no reviews on Metacritic from critics, it has a 9.2/10 from users.