BioShock is a first-person shooter video game developed by 2K Boston and published by 2K Games. The game was released for Microsoft Windows and Xbox 360 platforms in August 2007; a PlayStation 3 port in October 2008 and an OS X port in October 2009.
In 1960, a lone survivor of a plane crash named Jack discovers an abandoned underwater utopia, only to find out that the mystery behind its creation is much more sinister than he first believed.
Why It Rocks
- It has excellent gameplay that does a lot to not be another first-person shooter.
- It has a cool and unique setting that is what if a beautiful city, which was put underwater in the Atlantic Ocean, transformed into a nightmarish world.
- Terrifying lore, such as the one where the Little Sisters are actually little girls who were orphaned until they were turned into slaves that gather the genetic material that powers Rapture known as ADAM.
- An amazing storyline that is easily considered to be one of the best stories in any video game.
- A lot of likeable characters that have great voice acting, like Atlas and his real personality, Frank Fontaine and even the man himself, Andrew Ryan.
- Amazing graphics and effects, with a lot of detail put on the NPCs and world.
- Great sound design, including being able to hear whales in the ocean as you traverse the world of Rapture.
- Awesome soundtrack composed by Garry Schyman. The most notable examples are "The Ocean On His Shoulders" and the official theme "Welcome To Rapture".
- There is even a great selection of licensed tracks that come from the 1960's and even earlier.
- A good selection of enemies to fight, like the crazed citizens of Rapture known as Splicers and the famous tank like enemies known as the Big Daddies with their creepy little daughters known as Little Sisters.
- It has multiple abilities known as Plasmids that can do things to enemies such as freezing them to kill them easier, setting them on fire, telekinesis to throw objects around, hack and control machines, etc.
- It has two different endings depending on if you saved or harvested all of the Little Sisters.
- It includes multiple weapons ranging from standard weapons like a Wrench, a Pistol, and a Machine Gun, to more crazier weapons like the Chemical Thrower, which all have different ammo types and also can be upgraded; Plasmids can be upgraded as well.
- The story mode is somewhat short, as which can be finished in ten to twelve hours or less if you know what you're doing.
- The infamous final boss fight with a monstrous Frank Fontaine is notorious for it's easy difficulty.
- The remastered version on PC was a complete disaster on launch, due to crashes and other bugs.
- The iOS version is a complete and utter porting disaster.
- The "neutral" ending is the same as the evil ending except Tannenbaum is sad and not upset at you.
BioShock received critical acclaim and was particularly praised by critics for its morality-based storyline, immersive environments, and its unique setting, and is considered to be one of the greatest video games of all time. The PC remastered port was met with a mixed reception.