Bloodborne is an action role-playing video game developed by FromSoftware and published by Sony Computer Entertainment for the PlayStation 4. Officially announced at Sony's Electronic Entertainment Expo 2014 conference, the game was released worldwide in March 24, 2015.
Why It Rocks
- Great graphics that perfectly capture the art style.
- A hauntingly beautiful orchestral soundtrack.
- Addictive and fast paced combat.
- Explore a vast open world full of nightmarish creatures and Lovecraftian horrors.
- Huge, terrifying, and challenging boss battles.
- Lots of content.
- The campaign alone is a lengthy experience that will take over 40 hours to complete.
- Play as a fully customizable protagonist, which can be either male or female.
- Tons of weapons and armor to be found.
- An interesting plot.
- Chalice dungeons are an optional challenge that adds many more hours worth of content, with difficult bosses and rare rewards.
- Awesome boss fights.
- Trick weapons are a cool, creative system.
- Amazing DLC with hours worth of new content plus new weapons, bosses, outfits, locations, etc.
- Like many Soulslikes, the game has New Game+.
- The game suffers from some glitches and framerate drops.
- Long loading times (though a patch was released later to reduce them).
- Many felt that the game could have used more weapons/more variety in its weapons. This was largely fixed by the DLC, which added almost doubled the amount of weapons that the player can use.
- Players are thrown into new game plus as soon as they finish the game, meaning many players will be unable to tie up loose ends and, considering the games difficulty, some may not want to play through the game again just to do this. This is somewhat baffling considering that it was a complaint in the original Dark Souls and that they fixed it in other games that came before this one.
- The player has to finish pretty much the entire first act of the game to play the DLC. The DLC is also considered the hardest part of the game, so some player might want to finish the game before starting it, which may lead them to starting new game plus, meaning a) they will have to replay the game up until that point and b) the DLC, already the hardest part of the game, will have become harder.
- Since its a hard game, some enemies can be annoying for some players.
- Depending on your point of view, some weapons look stupid.
Bloodborne was met with critical acclaim upon release, with praise being directed at the game's gameplay, audio design, atmospheric environments, inter-connected world design, and plot.
Another of the game's praised traits is its difficulty, which some gaming publications called "brutal", and others considered "difficult, but fair".