Club Penguin was a massively multiplayer online game (MMO) involving a virtual world containing a range of online games and activities, created by New Horizon Interactive (now known as Disney Canada Inc.). Players use cartoon penguin-avatars and play in a winter-set virtual world.
After beta-testing, Club Penguin was made available to the general public on October 24, 2005 and has since expanded into a large online community —growing to the extent that by late 2007, it was claimed that Club Penguin had over 30 million user accounts. As of July 2013, Club Penguin has over 200 million registered user accounts. The success of Club Penguin led to New Horizon being purchased by The Walt Disney Company in August 2007 for the sum of 350 million dollars, with an additional 350 million dollars in bonuses should specific targets be met by 2009.
On January 30, 2017, the creators announced that the game would be discontinued on March 29, 2017 and be replaced by a successor, known as Club Penguin Island.
Why It Rocks
- It's free-to-play.
- It was the only friendly MMO video game that you can talk and socialized with people and even become friends.
- You can create your own penguin avatar, which some other things you need is a membership.
- However in the Rewritten version, you can buy anything without paying for real money because the membership was free forever.
- Fun and entertaining mini-games.
- It spawned countless videos on YouTube like the music video and "Funny Club Penguin Bans" by Calbel.
- Likable characters such as Gary the Gadget Guy, Dot, Cadence, Captain Rockhopper, Aunt Arctic, Sensei and many more.
- It spawned a spin-off video games like Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force for the Nintendo DS, and even three television specials.
- You could send fanart, asked questions or jokes to Aunt Arctic in the newspapers every weeks.
- Some people will keep swearing and bullying other players, although moderation is pretty good.
- You can get banned very easily for swearing.
- It ended up causing Toontown Online to shut down.
- Disney shut it down in 2017 and replaced it with a crappy successor.
- It started to go downhill in mid-2013. (Ex. Longer parties, most parties being Disney takeovers, removal of the Recycling Plant, big design change in November 2012, etc.)
- If you want to play buy more power cards, clothing or anything more, you need to buy Membership, It is clearly microtransactions.
- Thankfully in the Rewritten version is allow to have free Membership when you log or signed up, it was state and clear that microtransactions is gone forever.
Club Penguin Rewritten
You can join Club Penguin Rewritten which is a completely-free version of the original game. The game's playerbase has substantially increased following the negative reaction to Club Penguin Island. CPR Team has said "Just because a company pulls a plug out of a game doesn't mean it has to die.".
On October 10, 2017, it was reported by Club Penguin Rewritten that Disney Interactive had filed a copyright complaint against the website. Nikola Petkovic has set up a petition on Change.org to help the site keep its domain name. In 2 hours, the petition got over 140k signatures.
On February 26, 2018, they have announced that they have decided to close Club Penguin Rewritten down on March 4, 2018 then until in late April as it revived.