Cuphead is a run-and-gun boss rush game developed and published by StudioMDHR Entertainment. It was released for Microsoft Windows, Xbox One in September 2017. Mac OS X in October 2018, Nintendo Switch in April 2019, and PlayStation 4 in July 2020.
Why It Rocks
- The game has great graphics that resemble cartoons from the 1930s, such as the Mickey Mouse cartoons, making it stand out from other games.
- Fun, incredible, action-packed gameplay with plenty of challenges.
- Plenty of personality.
- Very tight and responsive controls.
- Great soundtrack, with plenty of jazz influences and instrumentation, especially for the boss fights such as Floral Flury and Honeycomb Herald.
- Extremely detailed landscapes and backgrounds.
- A lot of likeable characters. Even some of the antagonists, like the Root Pack, Hilda Berg, The Devil and King Dice are lovable.
- There was a glitch where you can clone the second player, which goes in hilarious ways!
- There's a ranking system, giving the game a lot of replayability.
- All the bosses have really unique and distinct designs; some are even based on beloved cartoon characters from the 1930s and 40s, such as Werner Werman being based of Jerry from Tom and Jerry.
- Parrying is a pretty unique feature, and it's quite helpful as doing it brings you closer to being able to activate your Super Art.
- Plenty of unique shooting options, such as Spread that has short range but strong power, or Roundabout that attacks from the front and the back.
- The physical copy of the game doesn't actually contain a disc. Instead, you just get a download code so you can download the game. Luckily, it makes up for it by including one of five animation cels.
- Some of the boss fights are pretty hard and frustrating to beat (which will cause players to rage) and based too much on trial and error.
- You also are required to beat all of them on a normal difficulty to progress to the final stages. Putting it on simple difficulty won't let you progress.
- Some of the power-ups you can't obtain until you buy other power-ups you may or may not want or need.
- There are various glitches that make some stages either impossible or bizarrely easy to beat.
- After defeating the boss in Treetop Trouble, you have one final gap to jump over. If you fail to make the gap at 1 HP, you will fail that stage and even after winning you have to go all the way through the stage and fight the boss all over again.
- The game was in development hell for 7 years.
- Bosses like Cagney Carnation, Beppi the Clown and Calamaria, the song Florar Fury and the PS4 trailer have spawned internet memes.
- Similar to other characters like Trasvis, Ältair and Vault Boy, Cuphead is a Mii costume in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Like Sans, the costume also includes a song, that is Floral Fury.
- The game will have soon a cartoon on Netflix called "The Cuphead Show" that will come out in a moment of 2021.