Far Cry is an action first person shooter video game created by Crytek and published by Ubisoft for the PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. The PC version was released on March 23, 2004 for North America and March 26, 2004 for Europe. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 Versions were released as Far Cry Classic on February 11, 2014 worldwide. This game ended up spawning an entire franchise of first person shooter video games.
Why It Rocks
- Decent graphics that have aged moderatley well.
- Challenging gameplay.
- Good gunplay.
- Good variety of enemies.
- Very good vehicle variety.
- The sound effects for weapons while not the best sounding are very good.
- Nice gun models.
- Good map design.
- Frustrating difficulty spike even in the easiest difficulty. Far Cry Classic fixed this issue a bit.
- The AI is omniscent, incredibly accurate, and can shoot through walls because of a bug; this makes it almost impossible to be stealthy.
- The ADS animations in the PC version are very poor, making it difficult to aim when fighting against enemies.
- The updated re-release, Far Cry Classic is only available on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Fortunately, there's a mod that ports the content into the PC version available on Mod DB.
- The console release has bad draw distance.
- Bad story.
- Terrible voice acting, which can become cheesy.
Far Cry was a commercial success, with sales above 730,000 units after four months of release. In the United States, Far Cry sold 350,000 copies and earned $11 million by August 2006. It was the country's 49th best-selling computer game between January 2000 and August 2006. It received a "Gold" sales award from the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association (ELSPA), indicating sales of at least 200,000 copies in the United Kingdom.
Far Cry received positive reviews from critics with PC version receiving significantly more praise than its console counterparts. Aggregating review websites GameRankings and Metacritic gave the PC version 89.38% and 89/100, the Xbox 360 version 50.00% and 58/100 and the PlayStation 3 version 45.00%.
- The game is completely different from other games in the series as it was developed by Crytek instead of Ubisoft.