Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star
Fate/Extella is a fighting game in the Fate/stay night franchise which was released November 10, 2016 for the PlayStaton 4, PlayStation Vita, Nintendo Switch, and PC. It's the third installment in the trilogy that began with Fate/Extra.
The game is set after the events of the Holy Grail War in the first game Fate/Extra. Nero and her master (whose true name is Hakuno Kishinami) have won the war, giving them control over the Moon Cell Automaton computer, which has the power to grant a wish. As proof of their kingship, they have obtained the Regalia ring, with which they rule over the former enemy servants; they are however confronted by a new enemy, which also holds a Regalia. The story is told from the perspectives of Nero, Tamamo no Mae and Altera (also known as Attila); in addition to the main story, the game also includes side stories focusing on the other servants.
Why It Rocks
- Decent graphics.
- Fun fighting game gameplay which is extremely fast paced.
- The story, characters, setting, and gameplay will greatly please Fate fans.
- Despite primarily appealing to Fate fans, the developers did take the time to attempt to get players up to speed with preceding events.
- Despite basically being a Musou clone, Fate/Extella does change one pivotal mechanic in those types of games, that being territory control.
- Great music.
- The gameplay, aside from the abilities unique to the Fate series, is basically a carbon copy of games like Musou.
- Because the game is so focused on appealing to Fate fans, non-fans may find a difficult time getting into this game unless they're a fan of Musou-style games.
This game has received generally mixed or average reviews with a 67% on Metacritc.