Gears of War
Gears of War is a 2006 military science fiction third-person shooter video game, and the first installment of the Gears of War series. It was developed by Epic Games and published by Microsoft Game Studios, initially as an exclusive title for the Xbox 360 in November 2006.
Why It Rocks
- It introduced the cover mechanic, allowing you to take cover and pop up to fire. It also helped to popularize this type of mechanic.
- Amazing and realistic graphics, especially considering this game was released in 2006, very early at the Xbox 360's lifespan.
- Addicting and fun gameplay.
- The game was made using Unreal Engine 3.
- The game's enemy faction, The Locust, have impressive and good looking designs, also the have very smart AI, which makes the game very challenging.
- Challenging difficulty, even on casual mode.
- Fun multiplayer mode and content.
- Likable characters, like Baird and Cole, aka "the Cole train".
- Funny dialogue and moments, courtesy of the aforementioned characters.
- The game was completely remade for the Xbox One with updated graphics and extra content as Gears of War: Ultimate Edition.
- Very short main campaign, which can be finished from 6 to 8 hours.
- A cheesy rap song at the game's credits.
- The Xbox One remake is prone to many bugs and glitches.
- The Xbox 360 Version suffered from a glitch that gave users free achievements just by joining one of their friend's online games. The players can just invite their friends that are highly leveled just to get these achievements. Due to this, Epic and Microsoft had to ban accounts that did the glitch, and never fixed the glitch at all.
Upon its release, Gears of War received universal acclaim from critics, maintaining an average review score of 93.97% at GameRankings and 94/100 at Metacritic.
The game unintentionally contributed to the mass increase in "dudebro shooters" due to its edgy and gritty tone.