God of War III
God of War III is an action hack and slash game developed by Santa Monica Studios and published by Sony Computer Entertainment. It is the fifth game in the God Of War series, the seventh chronologically, as well as the first God Of War game on the PS3 (not counting the re-mastered versions).
Not counting the two prequel games that were made afterwords, God of War III was the final chronological installment in the story for eight years until its sequel, God of War (2018) was created in 2018.
Why It Rocks
- Even though it did get a sequel nearly a decade later, this was an awesome and epic conclusion to the Greek era of the God Of War series.
- It starts directly where you left off in God Of War II.
- You use new blades called Blades of Exile. They're like the Blades of Athena but improved; you can still use the Blades of Athena, though you need to finish the game first at least once.
- Four new main weapons (including the Blades of Exiles), and unlike the last games they can be upgraded up to level 5, like your main blades, including lots and lots of combos.
- Each weapon now has its own magic, which are very strong, effective and upgradable as well.
- Introduces items, three secondary weapons while they aren't effective in attacking enemies, they can be used to do stuff like stunning, lighting dark places, and reaching places you can't reach, they also don't cost magic.
- Gorgons return again, but this time you don't get their power; instead, ripping of their head freezes all enemies around you.
- Large enemies like the Cyclops can be used to attack other enemies for a while.
- One of the best graphics and visuals on the PS3 that's still good today, better than lots of PC games.
- Memorable soundtrack.
- Ten bosses in the game, and here's the best part; while almost every God Of War game has its final boss being a fight with a god, this game has almost every boss fighting with a God, making it extremely epic and fun.
- Challenging yet awesome gameplay.
- Combat Arena; it's like Arena Of The Fates from God Of War II, but improved and more customizable.
- Collecting Gold Orbs fills the Rage of Sparta meter, where you get to use the Blade of Olympus for a while, the strongest weapon, along with its own combos.
- Beating the game unlocks awesome challenges to do.
- Unlock costumes (though most are DLC) that alter the gameplay, either easier or harder.
- Two small yet cheap DLC packs; one contains costumes (they can be bought separately), the other contains the strongest costume in the game and amount of new hard challenges (bought together only).
- Amazing story, where you witness Kratos fight against the Gods who betrayed him, and see hope helping him get rid of the evil inside of him.
- A re-mastered version was released on the PS4, improving graphics, increasing the FPS to 60 per second, adding all the DLC, a photo mode, and giving hints about a new God Of War game.
- Chaos difficulty which is harder than the Titan difficulty of the second game.
The Only Bad Quality
- A nitpick but New Game+ is slightly toned down compared to the second game.
God Of War III received universal acclaim from critics and gamers, it won many awards, many called it one of the best games of the seventh generation, with some calling it the best in the series, and a great conclusion to the series.
However while the re-mastered version was well received, it wasn't as well received as the PS3 version due to being set directly after God Of War II, which will confuse people new to the series, and due to not much improvement and costing $39.99 at launch (though it's half the price now on PSN).