Gokujou Parodius – Pursuing the Past Glory (極上パロディウス ～過去の栄光を求めて～ Gokujō Parodiusu - Kako no Eikō o Motomete) released in Europe as Fantastic Journey, is a 1994 horizontal-scrolling shooter arcade game developed and published by Konami. It is the third entry in their Parodius series, itself a parody spin-off of their Gradius series.
Why It Rocks
- The purpose of the game was to be as weird as possible, The game succeeded in doing so by including characters and music from other Konami games, Such as Vic Viper from Gradius and Twinbee.
- Like Gradius, You can unlock new weapons and abilities.
- Cute Character Design, Especially Hikaru and Upa.
- Clean voice-acting in both the Japanese and English versions.
- Bosses and stage designs are parodies of those in other shooters like R-Type and Galaga.
- Eliza, the mermaid boss, may have been an inspiration for Cala Maria from Cuphead.
- Catchy and Crazy music which sounds like BTSW, Some of which are remixes of classical music and other Konami games. For example Kiss my Feet! is a remix of the boss theme from Gradius, and Run! Run! Run! is a remix of the William Tell Overture Finale.
- Beautiful graphics.
- Very challenging as you progress through the levels.