Guilty Gear (ギルティギア, Giruti Gia), subtitled The Missing Link, is the first game of the Guilty Gear series published by Team Neo Blood (Now Arc System Works) on the Sony PlayStation, then ported on the PlayStation Network, PC and Nintendo Switch.
The story follows after Justice was sent into a dimension, due her being too hard to kill for Ky Kiske. However, one misterious man called Testament organized a tournament to find the most powerful warriors, only to reveal that he wanted to do sacrifices to free Justice. Due Sol Feeling responsible of the "Gear Project", he interfiered on the tournament to defeat Justice.
Why It Rocks
- The game greets you with a awesome intro that shows all the characters.
- The interface, while simple, still looks nice.
- The characters are reference to musicians and musics.
- Sol Badguy: Mr. Bad Guy by Freddie Mercury, the late singer of Queen, he was also inspired by Jotaro Kujo from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
- Ky Kiske: Michael Kiske and Kai Hansen, vocalists/guitarists from Helloween
- May: Brian May, the Queen guitarist.
- Kliff Undersn: Cliff Burton, the Metallica late bassist.
- Axl Low: Axl Rose from Guns N' Roses
- Chipp Zanuff: Chip Z'nuff from Enuff Z'nuff
- Millia Rage: Meliah Rage
- Testament: Thrash Metal band from the same name
- Justice: ...And Justice for All by Metallica
- Dr. Baldhead, Zato-1 Baiken and Potemkin: These are the only ones that are not musical references. Potemkin makes reference to a Russian battleship of the same name, Zato-1 makes a reference to Zatoichi which is a fictional blind swordman, Dr. Baldhead it's still unknown and Baiken makes reference to Shishido Baiken, a samurai who confronted Musashi Miyamoto
- The gameplay is fast and non-tedious.
- The pixel-art is GLORIOUS!.
- This was made by only 3 people, ONLY 3 PEOPLE WERE WORKING ON THIS GAME! . And yet, it went well.
- The soundtrack, despite copying existing songs, is still awesome!
- The character designs are superb.
- The main hero itself deconstructs the whole idea of being inmortal.
- The difficulty is challenging.
- The characters are sympathetic and charismatic, even the villains.
- While the fight Vs. Testament cutscene is decent, the cutscene of Justice is EXCELLENT!
- The final fights are nothing but EPIC! especially the rival ones, which greet you with the theme Conclusion.
- SPOILER WARNING(Sol's Story): Sol Badguy in his ending shows how wrong was humanity to make biological weapons, but he calls out Justice for the things she did. This ending is downright tearjerking, as it shows sympathetic sides from both characters and make the player feel bad for Justice, even if she commited genocide.
- The Ending Songs .
- Baiken appears as a secret boss in this game, if you beat her you unlock her. She later appears on Guilty Gear X as a normal character.
- Two words: Instant. Kills. They are very cheap. Though, you can avoid them.
- If this wasn't enough if the player or AI use Instant Kill attacks it will end quickly. thankfully; anytime if you use Instant kill attacks, you go to the next round in later games (with exceptions Isuka and It's upcoming game, -Strive-).
- Due translation errors, someone can confuse Justice for a man, and there are only vague mentions of "That Man", another plot-important antagonist. Her voice does not help.
- May's voice can get somewhat annoying.
- Millia in this game is kinda overpowered.
- The voices overall are decent, but they show their age compared to more modern voices.
- Testament is hard... but Justice is UNGODLY UNFAIR!. For starters, she has infinite energy, so she can spam many powerful attacks when she wants. One of her attacks is Gamma Ray, and this is no whimp attack. She does enough combos to make you to not think. Overall, she's cheap, and the only way to defeat her is to make her not have time to think, via close combat.
The game got a average of 4.12 by readers, 3.92 by critics and 3.78 overall on GameFAQs, videogames.com(now merged with Gamespot) said "Guilty Gear is as good as it gets".
Guilty Gear is also considered as a cult classic.