Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance is the seventh game in the Kingdom Hearts series. It was originally developed for the Nintendo 3DS hand-held system. It is a direct sequel to Kingdom Hearts 2, Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded, and the epilogue of Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep.
The game opening theme is the orchestral arrangement of "Hikari", while "Sanctuary -after the battle-" is used as the game ending theme.
The game was first announced at E3 2010, simply known as Kingdom Hearts 3D. A demo version of the game was made available on the Nintendo eShop on June 22, 2012. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance is the first game in the series to see a release in Europe and Australia before North America.
The game was remastered in HD and called Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD; this port was released as part of Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue for PlayStation 4.
Why It Rocks
- The game uses a battle system similar Birth by Sleep while using a balance of ideas from Re: Coded.
- It has a somewhat good plot that introduces the Sleeping Worlds and Time Travel.
- Sora and Riku return as the protagonists and try to awaken the Sleeping Worlds to achieve the Power of Waking, and become titled as True Keyblade Masters.
- The game tends to focus more on Riku than Sora. This allows Riku to have his character development continue even further as he struggles with the terms of being fit to be a Keyblade wielder after he gave into the darkness in the first Kingdom Hearts game.
- A new ability called Flowmotion is introduced as well. Which allows the player to use powerful acrobatic moves that gives them an advantage in battle, making the combat much more fast paced.
- This is the first game to add another Square Enix Franchise The World Ends With You. And many songs from The World Ends With You appears in the game and the voice cast now gets more speaking lines.
The Only Bad Quality
- Like Birth By Sleep, the worlds are just watered-down retelling of the movies with Sora and Riku shoehorned in.