Kirby's Epic Yarn
A port for the Nintendo 3DS was released in March 2019 under the name Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn.
Why It Rocks
- A very unique art style, in which everything and every character is made out of yarn or objects related to crafting and yarn.
- The graphics as a whole is beautiful.
- Kirby is given a new moveset based around the fact that he's made out of yarn. Kirby often takes the shape of different objects depending on the moves he's making, like a car, a parachute, an anvil etc. This takes his trademark copy ability, the normal version absent in this game because Kirby's made out of yarn, into a whole new level.
- The level design is very creative and also works around the yarn theme of the game.
- TONS of charm.
- Very creative boss fights.
- Every level has three collectibles that can be used to decorate a room Kirby rents early in the game.
- Fun co-op mode.
- A very relaxing and laid back soundtrack, which fits very well with the game's theme and tone.
- Kirby can transform into different vehicles that make good use of the Wii's motion controls.
- Getting a gold medal in Boss Fights unlocks additional levels in each world.
- "This grass feels funny," Kirby thought. "It feels like... pants."
- The game is severely lacking in challenge, mainly because Kirby cannot die, instead, getting hit or falling into a bottomless pit only causes you to lose coins (called beads in-game) which can be recovered fairly easily.
- Even if Kirby could die, the levels themselves are already fairly easy.
- Occasional control hiccups.
- Prince Fluff is not playable on the 3DS version.
Kirby's Epic Yarn received very positive reviews from fans and critics for its very unique yarn based art style and how the game cleverly takes advantage of it, and for the different mechanics it introduces to the Kirby series. However, it was also criticized for the near-total lack of difficulty due to Kirby never taking any damage.
- Shortly after the Nintendo Direct in September 2018 for the 3DS version, it was announced that the game was going to be exclusive to the New Nintendo 3DS, but it later confirmed that the game is compatible all the 3DS models.