LittleBigPlanet Karting is a kart racing game released for the PlayStation 3 and Sony PSP on November 2012. With most mechanics lifted from ModNation Racers, user generated content is a central aspect of the game, using "Play, Create, Share" adage which LittleBigPlanet is known for to convey its basis in online user-generated content sharing and level creation tools.
Players are able to accelerate and drift, successful drifts, where players don't hit a wall while drifting, will increase the speed of the kart temporarily. Weapons can be picked up on tracks, and the selection of weapons change depending on the track. Most weapons are able to be fired forward or backwards and can be used to protect against enemy attacks. In addition to the emphasis on user-generated content, the game includes a full-fledged single-player mode with story elements similar to what could be found in LittleBigPlanet 2.
Why It Rocks
- The main element of the game is the ability to create custom tracks, which can then be published on the servers for you and other player to play.
- Add custom terrain, branching paths, and props to your tracks you make to make your track unique.
- Most items and logic components from LittleBigPlanet 2 are also in this game, and some new ones as well allowing you to make more complex tracks or even custom rules for the level, such as an elimination mode in which karts will be eliminated after a certain amount of time passes.
- There are lots of parts to create custom tracks, and you can also create your own objects as well. You can then capture items and save them for collection in prize bubbles or reuse them in other levels.
- You can create custom weapons for your tracks, with lots of modes for weapons.
- It is possible to use a different kart model for karts.
- Your Sackperson can be decorated in a virtually identical way to LittleBigPlanet 2, with you being able to choose clothing and body items for the character, and also decorate with stickers and accessories. The same is possible for the Karts in the game, with tee ability to chose your horn sounds, wheel types, and other elements of your kart.
- You can play online multiplayer with up to eight racers.
- DLC Costumes from LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, and LittleBigPlanet PlayStation Vita transfer into this game and the latter two games.
- Long loading times lasting up to 40 seconds, which is about the same as it was in ModNation Racers.
- Lots of bugs and glitches in Create Mode, potentially leading to a crash.
- The servers for the game will only be online until July 2nd, 2018. After that date, players will not be able to share content with other players. See page for more details.
- Feels too similar to ModNation Racers.