Metroid 2 Remake (AM2R)
AM2R, short for Another Metroid 2 Remake, is a fan-made action-adventure video game developed by Milton Guasti under the pseudonym DoctorM64, and released in August 2016 for Microsoft Windows, coinciding with the 30th anniversary of the Metroid series.
Why It Rocks
- It's a from-the-ground-up complete remake of Metroid II: Return of Samus on Game Boy that looks and plays like Metroid: Zero Mission.
- Full controller support.
- Brand-new original sprites for all evolution stages of the Metroids.
- Every power-up and ability from Metroid: Zero Mission is back.
- Adjusted level design to accommodate Samus' new powers.
- Challenging, but fair.
- The remake sheds some light on story elements that were in the original game's manual that were never used (For example, in the manual, it was said that Samus was hired by the Galactic Federation to locate some GF troops that went missing on SR388, but the original game did nothing with that due to the system's limitations).
- The charged shot can attract health and missile refills like in the Metroid Prime games.
The game received very positive reviews from fans of the franchise, it was even going to win a game of the year award for best fan project of 2016, however, it was shut down by Nintendo after they issued a DMCA take-down notice causing all sites hosting the game to remove it as a result. Luckily, a quick internet search will point you to where to download it.