My Friend Pedro
My Friend Pedro is a shoot-'em-up platformer developed by Swedish programmer Victor Ågren under the name DeadToast Entertainment. Originally a Flash game published by Adult Swim Games in 2014, it received a heavily-updated and more modern 2.5D remake and was published by Devolver Digital on June 20, 2019, after five years of development.
Why It Rocks
- The use of slow-motion and acrobatic stunts to kill off your enemies was a unique concept for a Flash game at the time of its release.
- You can perform somersaults while shooting your enemies at the same time.
- There is a score multiplier system that increases with the number of enemies you kill in a corresponding amount of time. This encourages you to kill more enemies within a short window of time. Otherwise, you'll lose your combo streak.
- Just like MadWorld, the game highly encourages you to find creative ways to defeat your enemies. Just capping enemies in the face is not as satisfying as performing a somersault while shooting two enemies at the same time using your aim-splitting function.
- Speaking of the aim splitter, it allows you to kill two enemies at the same time while racking your score and combo up very quickly.
- The slow-motion meter recharges quite fast, allowing you to rack up slow-mo kills very quickly.
- Nice story with a nice plot twist that isn't overdone
- Pedro, the deuteragonist of the game, is a funny character and contributes to some of the game's story.
- You can kill anyone with just one kick to the face or balls!
- You can kick any kickable items into an enemy's face to kill them. This means you can kick an enemy's head like a soccer ball into an enemy's face to kill him. In fact, the game highly encourages you to do that!
- You can kick a frying pan into the air and ricochet bullets off of it to kill unseen enemies!
- The construction site level allows you to perform some neat skateboarding stunts while shooting enemies at the same time.
- In fact, you can kick the skateboard into enemy faces to kill them!
- The game gives you a clear rating and score breakdown at the end of each stage to show you where you did right and wrong.
- The game will show you the best kill stunt at the scoring screen as a GIF. It even allows you to download it and share it on Twitter directly!
- The bosses have fair difficulties and are not too overly difficult to the point where they're unbeatable.
- The game's official launch trailer has a very nice retro animation.
- You can even wall jump off an enemy and cap him and another enemy in the face at the same time.
- At some points, you can hang onto a zip-line or abseiling cable by one foot while shooting two enemies at the same time.
- It is a very blatant love letter to old gun-fu movies like The Matrix franchise and Hard Boiled.
- The game is short, being easily completed in four hours.
- Limited replayability
- The later levels aren't very good and poorly implement the already-established combat mechanics in favour of puzzle-solving.
My Friend Pedro got "Generally Favourable" reviews from critics and the audience on Metacritic.
IGN gave the game 8.5/10, praising its mechanics and shooting while criticizing its short length and limited replayability.
heavy.com also gave the game 8.5/10, praising its gameplay and combat while criticizing its length, story and lack of additional game modes.
PC Gamer gave the game 81/100, praising its GIF creator, combat, nonsensical story, short levels and creative methods of killing enemies while criticizing the later levels.
The game's official trailer
IGN's review of the game