Naughty Dog, LLC (formerly known as JAM Software, Inc.) is an American first-party video game developer based in Santa Monica, California founded by Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin in 1984. The company develops games exclusively for PlayStation systems.
List of Video Games
- Math Jam
- Ski Crazed
- Dream Zone
- Keef the Thief
- Rings of Power
- Way of the Warrior
- Crash Bandicoot
- Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
- Crash Bandicoot: Warped
- Crash Team Racing
- Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
- Jak II
- Jak 3
- Jak X: Combat Racing
- Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
- Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
- The Last of Us
- The Last of Us: Left Behind (DLC)
- Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
- The Last of Us Part II
Why Their Games Rock
- Almost every single game they've developed has received critical acclaim, several of them are considered among the best games of their respective PlayStation generations.
- They're known for coming up with clever methods to do things that would seem impossible with the hardware limitations at the time, most notably rendering Crash Bandicoot's graphics as early as 1996 (something that even Sony's own engineers who created the PlayStation were impressed by) and making loading screens during gameplay completely non-existent in the Jak and Daxter trilogy.
- Excellent visuals.
- They were able to take the Jak and Daxter series from cartoony and light-hearted to dark and serious without coming off as trying too hard to be edgy just for the sake of being edgy and without forgetting that the franchise is a platforming series.
- Their characters often become unofficial mascots.
- They helped Insomniac Games with the development of the original Ratchet & Clank trilogy.
- Starting from Jak II, they're very good at story telling and making strong likeable characters.
- Unlike Activision, they don't milk their franchises to death.
- Great multiplayer in their games.
- They take their time, and don't rush their games.
- They're always willing to take risks for their games and the result usually pays off.
- Always make excellent endings to their game series, like Crash Bandicoot: Warped, Jak 3 and especially Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.
- Starting with Uncharted 4, they will no longer release multiplayer DLC for their games, and all multiplayer DLCs will be free, in order to not split the community.
- They have an unfortunate habit of abandoning their franchises in favor of new ones, as seen with Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter. Although Crash Bandicoot was sold to Vivendi Universal (later known as Activision), Jak and Daxter on the other hand seems to be completely dead. At one point Naughty Dog indeed was working on Jak 4 but the game was quickly cancelled in favor of The Last of Us, which is a good game nonetheless.
- Some of the devs in the company are big time SJW supporters. Neil Druckmann admits to being a huge supporter of Anita Sarkeesian. They also highly defend Social Justice Warriors like her, and they even bash any supporter of GamerGate as well.
- Ironically, one developer was allegedly sexually harassed by one of the developers from Naughty Dog and they have denied this.
- After Amy Hennig left the company, they redid eight months of work because of the change of direction. They still had the good sense to include her name in the credits of Uncharted 4, however.
- Neil Druckmann has forced the company to suffer through crunch time.
- Someone leaked spoilers on The Last of Us Part II, causing horrendous fan outrage towards the game's plot and story decisions.