POSTAL 4: No Regerts
POSTAL 4: No Regerts (stylized as POSTAL4 No Regerts) is an indie open-world FPS developed and published by Running With Scissors. It was released on Steam Early Access on October 14, 2019, as the direct chronological sequel to POSTAL 2.
After escaping from Paradise, Arizona, for one last time before it finally gets nuked permanently, the Postal Dude and his loyal companion Champ stopped by a gas station for a toilet break when someone breaks into his 1987 DaFaQue car and drives off with it and their mobile home. With nothing but just his bathrobe and clothes on, the Dude and Champ walk to the nearest town, Edensin, to look for a job to do and possibly a permanent place to stay.
No Regerts returns to the free-roam, errand based gameplay of its chronological predecessor; each level divided is into days (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday) and new areas open up as the week progresses.
Rental Mobility Scooters
New to the franchise are drivable mobility scooters that the Dude can rent or steal from charging stations located in parts of Edensin. This allows him to travel to different parts of the town faster.
- Stun Baton
- Pigeon Mine
- Super Soaker
Vitamin X Powerup
The Postal Dude now has the ability to enhance his strength and speed after consuming a bottle of Vitamin X. The power-up lasts for a short time and gives the Dude the ability to knock people down with his piss and one kick, break windows with his piss, dismember people with one swing of his machete without needing to charge it, swing melee weapons faster and move faster.
The Postal Dude can now pick up limbs to use as batons to smack enemies with after dismembering them. Alternatively, he can also pick up heads and use them as volleyballs.
New to the franchise is Edensin Radio, a radio station that the Dude can tune in to on his Scrotorola smartphone to listen to music while running errands.
Why It Rocks
- The Postal Dude is back after a three-year hiatus and is determined to find and take back his mobile home, no matter what obstacles get in his way.
- Loads of new missions, weapons, enemies and locations.
- Just like its chronological predecessor, it is open-world.
- The game is just as equally violent and bloody, if not even more, with tons of blood and gore and awesome ways to kill people using the new weapons.
- The fire system returns and spreads better and faster than its chronological predecessor thanks to Unreal Engine 4.
- Heavily improved hitbox scans for the Dude and the NPCs, as they now react properly to being shot at or hit with melee weapons.
- The gore is now heavily improved and more detailed thanks to Unreal Engine 4.
- Cat silencers make a return to the game and you can now finally silence pistols (just like in the Postal movie) and revolvers.
- One of the three new weapons, the Pigeon Mine, lets you attack up to three people at one time once you break the wooden cage holding the pigeons.
- Another new weapon, the Super Soaker, lets you wet people with its water tank, ignite people on fire with its gasoline tank (after a few modifications to it) and make people puke with its puke tank.
- The game now has drivable vehicles in the form of rental mobility scooters that you can rent or steal to get to any location a lot faster than walking on foot.
- In fact, one of the features that will be added to the game in a future update is the ability to modify a mobility scooter to have an LMG mounted onto its dashboard!
- The glass now breaks in a more realistic manner before shattering completely unlike its chronological predecessor. Of note, light cracking noises will be made when it's kicked or a small portion of glass is broken before shattering completely with a loud crashing noise.
- They also now have proper bullet holes when shot at.
- You can now interact with toilets and most electronic items.
- Just like in the chronological predecessor, you can unzip your pants and openly piss on anything and anyone.
- In fact, the toilets realistically fill up with piss when you piss into them and flush them.
- You can change your gun's ammo type to deal more damage on enemies (will be added as a future update).
- Update 0.1.3.4 adds Vitamin X, a powerup multivitamin that lets you knock people down with your piss and one kick, break windows with your piss, dismember people with one swing of your machete without needing to charge it, swing melee weapons faster and move faster.
- David Eddings, aka Claptrap's voice actor for Borderlands 1 & 2, did a good job replicating the voice for the government official from POSTAL 2: Apocalypse Weekend in his voice for job agent Joseph Bellows.
- In fact, due to his association with Gearbox Software, he is able to recommend Duke Nukem and Big the Cat's voice actor Jon St. John to Running With Scissors to be the new voice for the Postal Dude.
- Update 0.1.3.5.4 adds Edensin Radio, an in-game radio station that allows you to listen to music from your in-game smartphone, the ability to use limbs as weapons and new HUDs for the Dude.
- Update 0.1.4.1.4 adds in the ability to turn cats into suicide bombers by shoving live grenades up their anuses and letting them run towards the nearest person it sees before the grenade explodes.
- As the game is on Steam Early Access, it's pretty much very incomplete and very buggy for now.
- The game now has a reload function, something that its chronological predecessor doesn't have.
- The original voice actor for the Postal Dude, Rick Hunter, did not reprise his role thanks to his new job as a radio host. Thankfully, Duke Nukem and Big the Cat's voice actor, Jon St. John, did a decent job replicating his voice.
- The game currently has horrible optimization on lower-end PCs, even on Buttsauce graphics. Thankfully, Running With Scissors is working on fixing this issue.
- Some of the locations are currently inaccessible and/or very empty and lifeless.
- As of now, Monday and Tuesday are the only playable days.
- The sewer worker job on Monday is the most boring main quest in the game as it consists of nothing but changing lightbulbs, unclogging sewer pipes and repairing sewage pumps.
The game's official Early Access trailer