The PlayStation 5 (commonly called PS5) is a console released by Sony in November 2020 and is the successor to the PlayStation 4. It is also the 5th home console in the PlayStation family and Sony's entry in the ninth generation of console gaming.
Why It Rocks
- It uses an all-new M.2 SSD, which not only has incredibly fast reading and writing speeds but also allows for new possibilities for games, such as hopping through dimensions in the upcoming game Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.
- Outstanding hardware that is a massive improvement over the PS4.
- It uses ray-tracing graphics, which allows for more realistic shadows and reflections in some games.
- It supports up to 8K 120FPS.
- People who don't plan to use optical discs with their PS5 can save a hundred dollars (a hundred euros, ninety quid, or ten thousand yen) by choosing the digital edition. This is an excellent deal for those who don't want to spend over a $1000 for a 4K gaming PC as the system can easily output many games on 4K Resolution at 60fps for well-over half the price.
- Although you may not be able to play PS5 games installed on a USB storage device, you can still temporarily move them to USB storage to save internal storage and move them to internal space when you want to play the game, which is faster than reinstalling from the internet or a blu-ray disc.
- Backwards compatible with nearly every PS4 title, with some of them getting special enhancements. Many games such as Kingdom Hearts III and Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth By Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage, Final Fantasy XV, God of War (2018), and numerous others are able to maintain a solid 60fps on the PS5, something which even the PS4 Pro struggled to achieve.
- Most of the PS4 games that can't be played on the PS5 are pretty obscure anyway.
- PlayStation Plus members that own a PS5 get unlimited access to a selection of PS4 games.
- Owning select PS4 games allows you to get a free digital copy of their PS5 versions.
- Like the DualShock 4, the DualSense controller can be used with the PS3 (with some limitations). There’s even an unofficial adapter that allows you to use the DualSense with the Nintendo Switch.
- The controller also has new features, such as advanced haptic feedback and adaptive triggers.
- First PlayStation console to support Ultra HD Blu-ray playback.
- The faceplates on the console can be swapped out and come in many different designs and colors.
- It's the first console with Discord functionality.
- Although you can use a DualShock 4 controller with the system, you can only use it for PS4 games.
- The free upgrade feature mentioned above won't work if you have the digital edition of the console and the physical version of the game.
- Despite being backward compatible with PS4 games, the PS5 does not support PS3, PS2, or PS1 games. The lack of compatibility for PS3 games can be explained by the different architecture which would make emulation difficult for a lot of games. However, PS1 and PS2 emulation has been done even by Sony themselves so they should have at least considered backward compatibility for those games.
- On top of that, its competitor, the Xbox Series X can play PS2 games on it via third-party apps, which is no excuse for the PS5 to not be able to play them.
- Speaking of backward compatibility, the PS5 can't play CDs at all, like its predecessor.
- There's also some limitations when playing PS4 games on PS5.
- If you got your PS4 digital game through the PS3 game to PS4 digital game upgrade program (and therefore need the PS3 disc to play it), you will not be able to play that PS4 digital game on your PS5 console.
- The SHARE menu cannot be displayed during PS4 gameplay on PS5 consoles. You can take screenshots and images by pressing the create button on your DualSense wireless controller to show the create menu. For some PS4 games, even if you start video recording with a resolution of 3840 x 2160, it may still be recorded at a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Additionally, you can use the button shortcuts to start/stop video recording or to save screenshots as follows:
- Single press the create (DualSense controller) or SHARE button (DUALSHOCK4 controller) to show the create menu.
- Press and hold the create (DualSense controller) or SHARE button (DUALSHOCK4 controller) to take a screenshot.
- Double press the create (DualSense controller) or SHARE button (DUALSHOCK4 controller) to save a video clip of your recent gameplay.
- The HD Camera is not compatible with PS VR on PS5. You’ll need to use the PS Camera (for PS4), and the PS Camera adaptor (no purchase required), to use PS VR on PS5.
- The tournaments feature on PS4 is not supported on PS5 consoles.
- In-Game Live from PlayStation is not supported on PS5 consoles.
- PS5 consoles do not support the PS4 Second Screen app or game companion apps.
- Free demos of PS4 games are not playable on PS5.
- While it's not as big of an issue as it is on the Xbox 360, there are a few PS4 games that have backwards compatibility issues on the PS5. For example, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate suffers from flickering shadows.
- PS4 games that have these kinds of issues can't be purchased on the PS Store directly from the PS5, though you can still download them if you purchased them from another device.
- Like its predecessor, this console still charges for online multiplayer.
- The cross (X) button is now used to confirm in all regions including Japan. It has received heavy criticism from Japanese players and media who are used to the circle button to confirm and the cross button to exit. The circle button was used to confirm in Japanese PlayStations from the PS1 to PS4.
- Due to the console's soaring demand by gamers, scalpers have been scrounging both versions of the PS5 through many online retailers and charging outrageous prices with some even costing over $1000 - to the dismay of many gamers who were hurryingly trying to buy them whenever it's available, especially at their launch prices.
- Even worse, According to YouTuber ReviewTechUSA, some of these PS5s have been reported stolen by Sony and gamers who do decide to purchase the console at these ridiculous price tags will sometimes, unknowingly, be buying a bricked console and it will be unable to access the PlayStation Network. This is especially worse if they have chosen the Digital Version because this version requires the PlayStation Network to download games.
- The console currently only comes colored white and black, and Sony has threatened legal action against third-party makers of all black and other custom colored cases.
- Much like its predecessor, some games will be affected by Sony's censorship policy on PlayStation.
- Upgrading PS4 versions of games to their PS5 version is a nightmare on the user's end, with gamers having to deal with convoluted processes to upgrade their supported game.
- Like the Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons, the DualSense is reportedly prone to analog stick drift.
- The following PS4 games can't be played on the PS5 (this is not an exhaustive list):
- Afro Samurai 2: Revenge of Kuma Volume One
- TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
- Just Deal With It!
- Robinson: The Journey
- We Sing
- Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
- Joe's Diner
- P.T. (because Konami won't allow it)
- The Playroom (requires PlayStation Camera)