Paladins: Champions Of The Realm
Paladins: Champions of the Realm is a third-person shooter video game published by Hi-Rez Studios. Originally developed by Hi-Rez Studios themselves, development of the game has since been moved to Evil Mojo Games, one of the company's 3 new divisions.
Why It Rocks
- Plenty of champions to choose from, each with different playstyles:
- The loadout system allows you to customize the playstyle of the champions and it allows you to adopt your own playstyle onto a champion that differs from your preferred style and the cards also increase stats or lengthen certain effects or adds value and utility to an abillity.
- Semi-constant updates that keep the game fresh
- Lots of unlockable high quality skins to obtain, and you can purchase all of the champions with Coins, which are earned by completing matches and finishing missions.
- Fun gameplay.
- The game takes some cues from Team Fortress 2 and Overwatch.
- Colorful graphics and unique character designs.
- You can unlock special skins for following Hi Rez's social media accounts and if you play on Steam for five matches as Barik, you earn a special Engineer skin from Team Fortress 2 to use, complete with a voice pack that is voiced by the original voice actor for the Engineer.
- The game allows players to easily jump in, as the first few hours are spent with bots, allowing players to get used to the game.
- Funny one-liners and each character have their own lore behind them.
- The game ensures that new players don't go in joining ranked matches right away, as you must have at least 12 champions and account level 15, which prevents players who just installed the game from playing ranked matches and potentially ruining games, something Team Fortress 2 and Overwatch failed to do.
- The game is constantly updated with new features.
- Even though new champions can get released broken, they help spice up the game and meta.
- Ash is a champion with a powerful flak cannon, and she is useful for point and crowd control.
- Barik is the Engineer-like class: He can build up to two turrets as well as set up a Barricade to shield him and your teammates from enemy attacks for a limited time, and he can use his rocket boots to make a quick escape from a battle.
- Fernando is the Pyro-like class, being able to flame his opponents with his trusty fire lance. He also has a shield to protect him from attacks.
- Inara uses Stone Spears to attack her foes, and she can cause walls to be formed from above the ground.
- Khan has a Heavy Repeater and can let out a Battle Shout that gives you damage immunity for a limited amount of time. He can also grab, stun, and throw enemies.
- Makoa has an anchor that allows him to pull in enemies, and he can project a shield for 4 seconds.
- Ruckus uses his mech's miniguns to kill enemies. He can also fire missiles, and jet in the direction he is moving.
- Terminus has a skill that allows him to absorb enemy damage, and his ultimate skill can revive him.
- Torvald can regenerate health and create a shield around him. He also shoots projectiles out of his gauntlet to attack.
- Bomb King is similar to Junkrat from Overwatch or Demoman from Team Fortress 2, and his primary weapon is sticky bombs that can be detonated, and they can be placed anywhere, even on enemies.
- Cassie uses a crossbow as her primary weapon, and she can send her bird out to reveal enemies and granting you extra movement speed and CC immunity.
- Dredge is similar to Junkrat in that he has a pistol-sized howitzer that can fire grenades. He can also fling harpoons at enemies and summon an interdimensional Kraken to kill big groups of enemies.
- Drogoz uses a rocket launcher and can spit out a big ball of burning phlegm. He can also thrust himself up into the air and kill an enemy with One Punch.
- Kinessa is a Sniper class, and she can place Oppressor Mines and Transporters.
- Lian uses her Heirloom Rife to easily handle immediate threats and put pressure on enemy backlines. She can also fire a long-range shot that pierces through enemies.
- Sha Lin uses a Long Bow as his primary weapon, and he is great for knocking enemies back with his Impaler Arrows.
- Strix is a Sniper class who has a Side Arm secondary weapon, and he is one of the few champions who can enter stealth mode.
- Tyra can pick off enemies quickly with her Auto Rifle, and she can use her Nade Launcher to fire a grenade that deals 700 damage.
- Viktor is a champion that is easy to pick up and play, as he suits Call Of Duty players the best. He can aim down sights and use a powerful frag grenade to kill enemies. He can also sprint using the Hustle move.
- Vivian can also aim down sights, and she has a Sensor Drone that can reveal enemies in a large radius.
- Willo is focused on area denial and can fire a toxic spore that deals 100 damage and blocks healing. She can also Flutter forwards or upwards.
- Furia can build up Wrath by healing allies and can summon a beam that travels forward.
- Grohk can deploy a Healing Totem that heals allies and can Ghost Walk, making him untargetable and walk faster.
- Grover can throw his axe and is one of the few long-range melee champions in the game.
- Jenos is useful for locking down enemies and securing kills and can heal players.
- Mal'Damba uses a snake to attack and can use a gourd that is full of venom to heal allies and damage enemies.
- Pip/Pepper uses a potion launcher and can throw an exploding flask that slows down enemies. He/She can also throw healing potions to heal allies.
- Seris can restore the souls of allies and can go into stealth mode.
- Ying can create illusions of herself and teleport, making her a unique support champion.
- Androxus can knock out enemies with a punch and quickly dash forward in any direction, allowing him to make a quick getaway.
- Buck has a powerful shotgun and can fire a net that slows targets. He can also make a huge leap.
- Evie is the most mobile of the Flank champions, as she can teleport and take flight for 2 seconds, making her useful for getting behind enemy lines.
- Koga is a ninja assassin who uses metal wrist-mounted claws and SMGs as his main weapons. He can also wall-climb.
- Lex specializes in close range duels, has 2 Magnum pistols and can select targets so he can earn Bounty kills.
- Maeve can throw daggers and is the second long-range melee champion in the game. She can also quickly dash forward and reset the cooldowns for Pounce and Prowl.
- Moji uses her familiar Po-Li to attack foes and can create a magic barrier.
- Skye can go into stealth mode and can create a Smoke Screen. She can also use stealth mode and use poison darts that deal health damage. Her ultimate can also destroy shields.
- Talus can teleport using runes and can also charge forward to attack enemies.
- Zhin is a close-range melee class and can counter attacks.
- Matchmaking is rather basic.
- The game gets repetitive quickly, like all multiplayer-only games. Although not as bad as most other games.
- It has lots of similarities to Overwatch to the point where some consider it a ripoff. Ironically, the game was in development before the former got released earlier.
- The game can get rather buggy even with new patches that fix pre-existing bugs that also introduce another.
- New champions can get released being unbalanced and can get tons of nerfs or be left broken for longer than usual.