Jump to navigation Jump to search
Pikmin 3 is a 2013 real time strategy game and is the third entry in the Pikmin series after Pikmin and Pikmin 2. The game was re-released on the Nintendo Switch as Pikmin 3 Deluxe on October 30th 2020.
Why It Rocks
- Introduces two new Pikmin types with the other 5 returning ( although white and purple Pikmin are only in mission mode and Bulbmin do not return) the two new Pikmin types are Rock Pikmin, who have the ability to break crystal, and are immune to being crushed, and winged Pikmin (who are extremely cute!) have the ability to fly (hence their name) and can tackle shortcuts that other Pikmin can’t, but don’t do good damage.
- Instead of two captains this time you have control of three captains with newcomers Alph, Brittany, and Charlie (Olimar and Louie are in the game but are only playable in mission mode and bingo battle).
- Instead of collecting treasure or ship parts, you are collecting fruit to save Koppai and in total there are 66 pieces of fruit. And at the end of each day you juice the fruit down, the fruit juice mechanic is important as it depends how long you can play the game.
- The story mode is pretty fun and focuses on the planet of Koppai rather than Hocotate.
- The 5 new areas (The Tropical Wilds, Garden of Hope, Distant Tundra, Twilight River, and Formidable Oak) are really fun areas.
- Gorgeous and beautiful graphics, even for Wii U standards.
- Just like the first two games it has beautiful music.
- Tons of personality and humor.
- Mission mode returns, and just like in Pikmin 2 it can be played in co-op.
- The bosses are both fun and thrilling.
- A new mode bingo battle which is good if you want to get competitive.
- The Switch port Pikmin 3 Deluxe adds new content such as new side story missions featuring Olimar and Louie, new difficulty settings, 3 save slots (like the first two games), co-op in the story mode, and brings back the Piklopedia from Pikmin 2.
- The Purple Pikmin have been nerfed, as their ground pound no longer stuns enemies and they don’t do double damage.
- The juice mechanic can be hit or miss to some people.
- The plot point where Alph, Brittany, and Charlie confuse Louie for Olimar can be confusing if you’re a newcomer to the series.
- The Formidable Oak (While both fun and challenging) is easily the worst area in the game, as it is one giant maze/labyrinth to get to the end while keeping Olimar away from the Mysterious Life Form.
- The new gyro aiming in Pikmin 3 Deluxe, while not bad, may take some getting use to for those who are used to playing Pikmin games with the Wii remote.