Jump to navigation Jump to search
The PlayStation 5 (PS5) is a home console developed by Sony Interactive Entertainment and released in November 2020. It is a successor to the PlayStation 4. It is also the fifth home console in the PlayStation family and Sony's entry in the ninth generation of console gaming.
Why It Has No Limits
- It uses an all-new M.2 SSD, which not only has incredibly fast reading and writing speeds, but also allows for new possibilities for games, primarily the fact that loading times are so short, that they are almost unnoticeable, like whenever you're hopping through dimensions in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.
- Outstanding hardware that is a massive improvement over the PS4.
- It uses ray-tracing graphics, which allows for more realistic shadows and reflections in some games.
- It supports up to 8K 120FPS.
- People who don't plan to use optical discs with their PS5 can save a hundred dollars (a hundred euros, ninety quid, or ten thousand yen) by choosing the digital edition. This is an excellent deal for those who don't want to spend over a $1000 for a 4K gaming PC as the system can easily output many games on 4K Resolution at 60 FPS for well-over half the price.
- Although you may not be able to play PS5 games installed on a USB storage device, you can still temporarily move them to USB storage to save internal storage and move them to internal space when you want to play the game, which is faster than reinstalling from the internet or Blu-ray/4K discs. (due to the 6x disc drive speed (29 MB/s) minor upgrade from it's predecessor to read 4K discs).
- While most games are cross-generation, it still has lots of amazing games and exclusives that can be worth getting a PS5 for, including:
- Backwards compatible with nearly every PS4 title, with some of them getting special enhancements. Many games such as Kingdom Hearts III and Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth By Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage, Final Fantasy XV, God of War (2018), NieR: Automata, and numerous others are able to maintain a solid and smooth 60 FPS on the PS5, something which even the PS4 Pro struggled to achieve.
- Most of the PS4 games that can't be played on the PS5 are pretty obscure anyway.
- PlayStation Plus members that own a PS5 get unlimited access to a selection of amazing PS4 games such as God of War (2018), Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy and Monster Hunter World.
- Owning select PS4 games allows you to get a free digital copy of their PS5 versions.
- Like the DualShock 4, the DualSense controller can be used with the PS3 (with some limitations) and a PC.
- There’s even an unofficial adapter that allows you to use the DualSense with the Nintendo Switch.
- The controller also has new features, such as advanced haptic feedback and adaptive triggers.
- First PlayStation console to support Ultra HD Blu-ray playback.
- All the consoles come packed in with a game called Astro's Playroom installed on the console.
- The PlayStation 5 camera has features that are great for streamers like adding a background for you
- The faceplates on the console can be swapped out and come in many different designs and colors.
- It's the first console with Discord functionality.
- It's region-free just like its predecessor.
- You can use the DualShock 4 to play PS4 games on the system if you want to.
- Highlighting the game and press the Options button (the hamburger button) and select "Manage Game Content" allows you to manage how you keep your related add-ons, language data and the game pack without uninstalling the mandatory data.
- For example, if Call of Duty (post-Modern Warfare (2019)) is kept in the storage, you can uninstall the Campaign and/or Warzone without going to in-game settings to save your space.
- Activity Cards system for native games allows to boot up the game significant faster when going through the current activity (from the last save slot or optional content), Time Advice on your current progress and Help Videos (PS Plus subscribers exclusive) for seeing tips and hints when doing collectables or quick travel to preferred activity in certain games (first-party games such as Marvel's Spider-Man (both Remastered and Miles Morales), Astro's Playroom, Demon's Souls (2020), Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Ghost of Tsushima, and third-party Games such as A Plague Tale: Innocence, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Nioh 2: Remastered, and Grand Theft Auto Online).
- Although you can use a DualShock 4 controller with the system as mentioned above, you can only use it for PS4 games.
- The free upgrade feature mentioned above won't work if you have the digital edition of the console and the physical version of the game.
- Despite being backward compatible with PS4 games, the PS5 does not support PS3, PS2, or PS1 games.
- The lack of compatibility for PS3 games can be explained by the different architecture which would make emulation difficult for a lot of games.
- However, PS1 and PS2 emulation has been done even by Sony themselves so they should have at least considered backward compatibility for those games.
- The PS5 can't play CDs at all, like its predecessor, which also means that PS1 and PS2 (CD/Blue Discs) titles, if the emulation would have released, it would be digital-only.
- On top of that, its competitor, the Xbox Series X can play PS2 games on it via emulators, which is no excuse for the PS5 to not be able to play them.
- The PS5 will be able to play PS3 (through streaming), PS2, PS1, and PSP games on June 2022, but it'll be exclusive to certain PS plus subscriptions.
- There are also some limitations when playing PS4 games on PS5.
- If you got your PS4 digital game through the PS3 game to PS4 digital game upgrade program (and therefore need the PS3 disc to play it), you will not be able to play that PS4 digital game on your PS5 console.
- The share menu cannot be displayed during PS4 gameplay on PS5 consoles. You can take screenshots and images by pressing the create button on your DualSense wireless controller to show the create menu. For some PS4 games, even if you start video recording with a resolution of 3840 x 2160, it may still be recorded at a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Additionally, you can use the button shortcuts to start/stop video recording or to save screenshots as follows:
- Single press the create (DualSense controller) or share button (DualShock 4 controller) to show the create menu.
- Press and hold the create (DualSense controller) or share button (DualShock 4 controller) to take a screenshot.
- Double press the create (DualSense controller) or share button (DualShock 4 controller) to save a video clip of your recent gameplay.
- The HD Camera is not compatible with PS VR on PS5. You'll need to use the PS Camera (for PS4), and the PS Camera adaptor (no purchase required), to use PS VR on PS5.
- The tournaments feature on PS4 is not supported on PS5 consoles.
- In-game live from PlayStation is not supported on PS5 consoles.
- PS5 consoles do not support the PS4 second screen app or game companion apps.
- Some demos of PS4 games are not playable on PS5.
- While it's not as big of an issue as it is on the Xbox 360, there are a few PS4 games that have backwards compatibility issues on the PS5. For example, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate suffers from flickering shadows.
- PS4 games that have these kinds of issues can't be purchased on the PS Store directly from the PS5, though you can still download them if you purchased them from another device.
- Like its predecessor, this console still charges for online multiplayer.
- The cross (X) button is now used to confirm in all regions including Japan. It has received heavy criticism from Japanese players and media who are used to the circle button to confirm and the cross button to exit. The circle button was used to confirm in Asian and Japanese PlayStations from the PS1 to PS4 (including the PSP and the PS Vita). Fortunately, there's a way to customize controller button assignments through accessibility settings.
- Due to the console's soaring demand by gamers, as well as the 2020s global chip shortage, scalpers have been scrounging both versions of the PS5 through many online retailers and charging outrageous prices with some even costing over $1000 - to the dismay of many gamers who were hurryingly trying to buy them whenever it's available, especially at their launch prices.
- Even worse, some of these PS5s have been reported stolen by Sony and gamers who do decide to purchase the console at these ridiculous price tags will sometimes, unknowingly, be buying a bricked console. This is especially worse if they have chosen the digital version because it requires PlayStation Network to download games.
- Some games such as Gran Turismo 7 and God of War: Ragnarok were originally intended to be exclusive to the PS5, but are now reportedly also coming to the PS4, with the scalping problem possibly being the reason.
- Aside for the fair $400 for the digital edition and $500 for the disc edition (in the USA), international got shafted (Europe, United Kingdom, Japan, China, Australia, Mexico, and Canada only) as of result of significant inflation for their country's currency despite their continuation of supply issues.
- The console currently only comes colored white and black, and Sony has threatened legal action against third-party makers of all black and other custom colored cases. Luckily, colors for the console cover will be released in June 2022 and are easy to install.
- Much like its predecessor, some games will be affected by Sony's censorship policy on PlayStation.
- Upgrading PS4 versions of games to their PS5 version is a nightmare on the user's end, with gamers having to deal with convoluted processes to upgrade their supported game.
- Unlike other PlayStation consoles, the camera has no games made for it, so unless if you're planning to stream, it's pointless.
- This is a wasted potential for those who like to play Just Dance games just for the HD Camera (native version starting on 2021; the backwards compatible PS4 version has either the PS Move, PS Camera, or smartphone options via Just Dance Now app) without using his or her phone as a "controller-free" environment.
- Like the Nintendo Switch Joy-Con, the DualSense is reportedly prone to analog stick drift.
- The YouTube app on the console is really bad, because it loads endlessly when starting, videos always buffer, and whenever they don't buffer, they play normally, but with really low quality, making the app on the system unusable. And worst of all, once you uninstall it, you can't reinstall it at all, possibly rendering the app broken beyond all repair (they couldn’t get YouTube to function properly on a 9th-gen system).
- NVMe Gen4 expandable storage is only used in games and apps. If you set your console with too many in-console captures (such as automatic trophy captures, which includes getting a platinum trophy) or save data with a big amount of storage, this requires adjusting your internal space to sacrifice your clear saves.
- This is an equivalent to prevent cheating their saves (offline-only) due to disabled USB backup (uploading via the cloud with PS Plus subscription is still an option).
- Not many games uses the Activity Cards system as selecting the current progress does not shorten the load times (like Grand Theft Auto V loading either modes than normally bootup the game, and Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time which does not skip the logos and the title screen to the Dimension Map of the selected level), and lack resume activity to prevent loading the previous save and rather to the optional content
- Not all PS4 games work on the system, as there is a list of following PS4 games that can't be played on the PS5 (this is not an exhaustive list):
- Afro Samurai 2: Revenge of Kuma Volume One
- TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
- Just Deal With It!
- Robinson: The Journey
- We Sing
- Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
- Joe's Diner
- P.T. (because Konami won't allow it)
- The Playroom (requires PlayStation Camera)
- The console spawned several memes about internet users sandwiching sheets of paper between a Wi-Fi router and calling the result a "PS5".
- Speaking of which, like the Xbox Series X, which had jokes about how it looked like a fridge, it was also given jokes on how it looked like, being (as stated) a WiFi router.