Sega Mega Drive Mini
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Mini is an official system based on the Sega Mega Drive developed by Sega and M2. It includes over 40 games from the original Sega Genesis.
List of Games Included
- Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
- Alicia Dragoon
- Altered Beast
- Beyond Oasis
- Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
- Castlevania: Bloodlines (Castlevania: The New Generation in Europe; Vampire Killer in Japan)
- Comix Zone
- Contra: Hard Corps (Probotector in Europe)
- Dynamite Headdy
- Earthworm Jim
- Ecco the Dolphin
- Ghouls 'N Ghosts
- Golden Axe
- Gunstar Heroes
- Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Rockman Mega World in Japan)
- Monster World IV
- Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Milennium
- Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
- The Revenge of the Shinobi
- Road Rash II
- Shining Force
- Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
- Space Harrier 2
- Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition
- Streets of Rage 2 (Bare Knuckle II in Japan)
- Super Fantasy Zone
- Thunder Force III
- Toejam And Earl
- Wonder Boy in Monster World
- World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
US and PAL Version Only
- Eternal Champions
- Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
- Kid Chameleon
- Light Crusader
- Virtua Fighter 2
Japanese Version Only
- Assault Suit Leynos
- Dyna Brothers 2 Special
- The Hybrid Front
- Langrisser II
- Madō Monogatari I
- Party Quiz Mega Q
- Puyo Puyo 2
- Rent a Hero
- Snow Bros.
- Slap Fight MD
- Yū Yū Hakusho: Makyō Tōitsusen
Why It Rocks
- Quite good value for $80, considering it has over 40 games, twice more than what its competitor, the Super NES Classic Edition, offered.
- Phenomenal selection of games included. There's something here for everyone, ranging from iconic Sega classics like Sonic the Hedgehog and Streets of Rage 2, games that are rare and expensive such as Monster World IV, Mega Man: The Wily Wars and Tetris, and even two licensed Disney games.
- The Genesis/Mega Drive Mini includes two 3-button controllers right out of the box (or two 6-button controllers in Japan), and they are almost identical to the original controllers.
- By switching the system's language to Japanese, you can play Japanese versions of certain games, like turning Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine into Puyo Puyo.
- Like the NES Classic Edition and its successor, it saves states, which is great for some of the more difficult games like Ecco the Dolphin.
- The emulation is near perfect, especially compared to AtGames' attempts to emulate the Sega Genesis. Even the sound is almost on par with the original hardware, and Sega Genesis sound is generally known to be very difficult to get right on emulators.
- The Genesis/Mega Drive Mini has two USB ports, which allows users to plug in a controller from another system via USB.
- Good menu music by Yuzo Koshiro, which includes a medley of songs from various games on the system.
- It's a great option for people who don't have an actual Sega Genesis.
- In Japan, you can even purchase decorative items for the console that resemble the Genesis/Mega Drive's peripherals, like the Sega/Mega CD and the 32X, forming the Tower of Power.
- Despite an amazing game selection, some of the notable Sega Genesis titles are missing, such as Ristar, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles and Rocket Knight Adventures. Also, the Sega Genesis version of Virtua Fighter 2 is a very puzzling inclusion.
- While it's good that the system has two 3-button controllers, some of the games are better suited for a 6-button controller that's sold seperately, like Eternal Champions and Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition.