Senran Kagura: Estival Versus
Warning! This article is NSFW!
This article may contain content unsuitable for readers under eighteen years or older.
Senran Kagura: Estival Versus is a 3D action, beat 'em up developed by Tamsoft and published by Marvelous Inc. and XSEED Games. The game first came out on PlayStation 4 on March 26, 2015, and then ported to PC on March 17, 2017.
Why It Rocks
- Pretty good and deep storyline that deals with some dark themes such as grief, having to accept your loved one's death, etc.
- Excellent and fun gameplay that feels inspired by Dynasty Warriors.
- The controls are also fluid and responsive.
- The soundtrack is amazing, which is expected for the Senran Kagura series.
- The game is filled with tons of content for many players to unlock and enjoy.
- Outside of the main story mode, there are these missions called Shinobi Girl's Heart Missions, and Dual Shinobi Hearts (the former was first in Shinovi Versus). They're small missions that are told from the character's perspective and are made to balance out the darker story.
- The clothing room allows you to dress up girls to your liking, mess with them in intimacy mode to get a reaction out of them, and even kiss them (the whole intimacy thing actually came from Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni).
- Almost all of the characters have some kind of horrible and dark past to show that they are more than just some fanservice characters.
- All of the characters are entertaining, likable, and have well-written personalities. They also have great chemistry with each other and aren't forced at all.
- There's an online multiplayer mode to compete against 10 other people. The online mode has 3 modes to pick from; these being: Shinobi Deathmatch, Understorm & Capture The Bra. You can even add some A.I. to the mix.
- Like what the series is usually known for, the fanservice is greatly used and the clothing damage is utilized so you end losing your defense stats.
- A huge amount of replay value, especially because of all the content and addicting combat.
- Players can go into 'Frantic Mode' which strips you down to your lingerie/swimsuit and drops all of your defenses in favor of boosting your strength.
- A total of 34 playable characters including ones from the Ikki Tousen and Dead or Alive series.
- While the online mode can be fun, the net code isn't really good which can lead to problems when playing it. Players can also end up abusing incredibly cheap and boring tactics which can turn off newcomers from trying the mode out.
- The A.I. is incredibly flawed, especially in hard mode since they blatantly cheat a lot and frequently use cheap moves on the player, making them really unfair at times.
- The roster is really unbalanced, characters like Yomi, Hanabi, and Haruka's attacks are more based on strength than speed, but this only ends up making them really slow to use, making them some of the worst characters in a game that's heavily fast-paced.
- Out of all of the characters in the main story, Homura is completely underutilized, only having a total of one mission in terms of story mode which is only a part of the tutorial.