Jump to navigation Jump to search
Shigeru Miyamoto (b. November 16, 1952) is perhaps the most well known and celebrated game designer/producer of all time. He works at Nintendo as their co-representative director.
Why He Rocks
- Produced many critically acclaimed video games, several of which have made several best games ever lists!
- Created many beloved franchises, such as the Super Mario franchise, The Legend of Zelda franchise, and the Star Fox franchise!
- His video game, Super Mario Bros. and the Nintendo Entertainment System played a very large role in making video games awesome again after the North American Video Game Crash of 1983.
- Helped in designing the controller of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.
- He designed how Mario works in 3D when Super Mario 64 was being developed, therefore by extension he helped create the original blueprint of 3D gaming.
- Does not rely on focus groups and instead decides if a game is fun himself. Considering his track record, he has extremely good taste.
- He is firmly against many anti-gamer practices such as rushing a game.
- Holds a deep love for his creations. At E3 of 2004 when he unveiled The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, he did it dressed as Link.
- He personally approved the concept of Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle after he saw how Ubisoft made their own character models for Mario and Luigi and was impressed by them.
- His non-reliance on focus groups is what led to Paper Mario: Sticker Star's change in direction, because he thought it looked like a Thousand-Year Door remake.
- He doesn't think much of story elements and includes gimmicks in his latest games, such as Star Fox Zero.
- He didn't give Rare creative freedom, which led to Rare leaving.
- He nearly cancelled StarFox 2.
- He cancelled most of Argonaut's planned games.