Starbound is a 2D science-fiction action-adventure sandbox video game developed and published by Chucklefish.
On the day you graduate to become a protector, Earth is suddenly destroyed by an unknown force. You escape Earth using the first escape ship you find only to find the ship is damaged and you're lost in space. Your only option is to beam down to the planet below and gather the resources you need to repair your ship and set off to explore the vast, infinite universe.
In Starbound, you create your own story, you may choose to save the universe from the forces that destroyed your home, uncovering greater galactic mysteries in the process, or you may wish to forego a heroic journey entirely in favor of colonizing uncharted planets.
Why It Rocks
- Lots of attention to detail.
- Great soundtrack.
- Create a character with a selection of hair styles, clothing types, and seven character races to chose from, Human, Apex, Avian, Hylotl, Glitch, Floran, and Novakid.
- A whole universe with loads of star systems is available to explore after repairing your ship. Each planet is procedurally generated and each has a different theme with different biomes, ore, enemies, and terrain.
- You can place objects in your ship, such as beds, item containers, and crafting workstations, and remodel the back of the ship to change its appearance.
- You can upgrade the ship further to increase the size of it, adding additional rooms to the ship, up to five times, and each ship is differently shaped.
- You can hire crew members, which have different purposes. A warrior for example can come with you and help out in defeating enemies, while a tailor allows you to change your crew's main uniform.
- There are instanced dungeons to fight in to obtain upgrades and items.
- Many bosses to defeat.
- Three add-on abilities can be obtained, a double jump, a short warp dash, and the ability to transform into a ball.
- You can enter a mech to deal with enemies in mid space with no gravity.
- Mine lots of metals such as Gold and Tungsten using a tool called the Matter Manipulator.
- Grow food crops such as wheat, potatoes, and carrots.
- Get pixels from defeating monsters and use them to buy and sell items.
- Get armor to increase your defense, energy, and health. You can also dye your armor and wear a second vanity layer to show instead of the stat raising armor.
- Massive amounts of items, blocks, tools, armor pieces, accessories, and weapons.
- Most two handed weapons have a secondary ability to use, such as a slashing jump, firing off a ring of fire, or acting as a shield.
- The game is designed to be extremely modder friendly. As a result, lots of mods for the PC edition of the game. Steam Workshop is integrated into the game and mods can be built using the Lua scripting language used by games such as Roblox and World of Warcraft.
- Poor optimization, causing a significant amount of CPU power (around 50% on an Intel Core i3 processor at near 1080p resolution) to be used when in gameplay causing a mediocre framerate of 30FPS.
- Bad side quests, they are randomly generated from a limited range of quest types. Also, sometimes the game generates dumb quests such as ordering you to bring a message to somebody within twenty five meters of the quest giver, and a person who will trade 6 Bone for 12 Bone from another person (trading for the same item actually occurs in the game).
- The plot itself is very generic and predicable, unlike the beta plot. This (along with other issues of the game) is fixable with mods.
- The game's inventory system may be too complicated and convoluted for some people.
- To explain the inventory system, the inventory is grouped into five tabs where only certain types of items can be inserted, where the first inventory tab is your main item inventory storing items such as weapons, upgrade parts, and armor. The second tab is the inventory for natural blocks, and the third tab is the inventory for crafted blocks. The fourth tab is the inventory for other crafting materials, and the fifth tab is your food inventory. When the inventory group is full no items of those types can be picked up.
- The Erchius Mining Facility mission is very frustrating and difficult.