Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter is a first-person shooter video game developed by Iguana Entertainment and published by Acclaim for the Nintendo 64 console and Microsoft Windows. It was released in 1997 in North America and Europe.
The game received a fully remastered and re-coded PC version by Nightdive Studios, which was released on GOG and Steam on December 17th, 2015.
Why It Rocks
- Amazing graphics for its time.
- Excellent soundtrack.
- Players explore the large, typically jungle-based levels by jumping, swimming, climbing, crawling, and running.
- Smooth gameplay with very little to no framerate drops.
- Huge levels with tons of enemies.
- Exciting and giant boss battles.
- Turok features 13 weapons plus the Chronoscepter, ranging from a knife and bow to high tech weaponry.
- Explore eight enormous levels with specific objectives to fullfill.
- A hub area which allows the player to revisit completed levels.
- Keys must be collected on every level to open a portal that allows to advance to the next level.
- The game features an automap to help players navigate through the levels.
- The Nightdive Studios remaster adds a crosshair previously absent in the original game, a more refined 1st level, smoother controls and framerate, modding and level editing features, better draw distance etc.
The Only Bad Quality
- The jumping controls are a total pain, especially when there are sections where you have to jump over small pillars, otherwise you fall to your death.
Turok was a critical and commercial success, earning rave reviews from video game magazines and becoming the most popular title for the Nintendo 64 in the months following its release. It was judged one of the best console shooters on the platform.
On the aggregate review web sites Metacritic and GameRankings, the console version of Turok has an 85% and 86.6% rating, respectively, each figure based on scores from thirteen contemporary and recent reviews.