User:Cecilia1945/sandbox/Honkai Impact 3rd
Honkai Impact 3rd (Chinese: 崩坏3; pinyin: Bēng Huài 3), also called Houkai 3rd (Japanese: 崩壊3rd, Hepburn: Hōkai 3rd) is a free-to-play 3D action role-playing mobile game developed and published by miHoYo, and later ported to Windows PCs. It is the spiritual successor to Guns GirlZ, using many characters from the previous title in a separate story. The game is notable for incorporating a variety of genres, from hack and slash and social simulation, to elements of bullet hell, platforming, shoot 'em up and dungeon crawling across multiple single and multiplayer modes. It features gacha game mechanics.
In an alternate version of Earth, plagued by catastrophes resulting from "Honkai" (in Chinese translates as "Chaos", while in Japanese, it is said "Houkai".). Honkai is largely viewed as a malevolent force with a will of its own, able to corrupt humans into undead creatures, manifest itself in the form of various monsters, and select various individuals known as "Herrschers" to imbue with god-like powers able to trigger apocalyptic events. The Honkai is a cyclic phenomenon, returning to end civilization on Earth each time it gets too advanced - the Previous Era ended 50,000 years prior to the game's start, after the 14th Herrscher defeated humanity.
In the present day, various global factions exist to combat or take advantage of the power of Honkai. These include "Schicksal", a European-based peace keeping organization that deploys human warriors known as Valkyries to combat the Honkai; "Anti-Entropy", formerly the North American branch of Schicksal that objected to the use of human soldiers in favor of mechanized robots; and "World Serpent", a shadow organization manipulating events since the end of the Previous Era.
Prior to the story's start, three Herrscher awakenings (or "Impacts") have occurred in the Current Era: the Herrscher of Reason who became the leader of Anti-Entropy instead of fighting humanity, the Herrscher of the Void who was defeated by Schicksal and Anti-Entropy in 2000, and the Herrscher of Lightning who was prevented from fully awakening and sent to train her powers as a Valkyrie at Schicksal's St. Freya Academy. In addition to the mobile game, the storyline of Honkai Impact 3rd spans multiple supplementary media including an anime series, multiple manhua series, and promotional videos.
Why It Rocks
- It has a very expansive and complex story that only continues to grow over time with many gripping twists and events being added into the storyline as the game continues.
- The gameplay is very well animated and the graphics are beautiful to look at, and can even make you feel as if you're in the actual game!
- The cutscenes are also very well animated and intruiging.
- Lovable and deep characters.
- Kiana is introduced as a lazy, happy-go-lucky, carefree girl. But as the games goes on, and more about her past and the world around her is revealed to her, (including the fight against her Herrscher self, Himeko's death, and learning she's actually a clone of the real Kiana), she matures and becomes much more responsible and serious. She still smiles and shows a happy face every now and then, but they're now more subdued.
- Mei is a kind, friendly, humble, gentle and considerate girl who strive to always help her friends and loved ones to the best of her abilities. She's also fiercely protective of Kiana, and would do anything to save her, as shown when she re-awakens her Herrscher self and joins the World Serpent to save the former upon learning her condition would kill her in two months.
- Bronya is a stoic and quiet girl who was raised as a solider as a child, but captured and brought to an orphanage where numerous experiments were put on the children. She got bullied by one of the orphans there and later got pushed down the stairs, resulting in her being crippled. The closest thing she had to a close friend there was Seele, who became a victim to one of the experiments; in the process of trying to get to her, Bronya went through with the same experiment, which caused her to suffer brain damage and lose her emotions. While she eventually got prosthetics from the Schicksal, she was still traumatized from her past and still occasionally has lingering feelings over her lost friend. Over the course of the story, she slowly but surely learns to trust and rely on those around her.
- Yae Sakura is a girl who was traumatized after her younger sister was sacrificed by the very village she protects to "appease the gods", and the villagers by and large showed no remorse whatsoever towards her despite that, and were generally very rude and ungrateful to her. Even when she managed to find the closest thing to love and happiness in Kallen, she still ended up being possessed by a Honkai Beast due to her lingering negative emotions, and ended up having to be defeated and sealed by Kallen. For 500 years after that, she existed in a "stigmata world" where, due to the Honkai Beast's influence, she was forced to relieve her dark past countless times so that the beast could fully take over her body and consciousness. Thankfully, she's able to escape this fate, as (with Kiana’s interference) the Honkai Beast is slain, making her free from her curse.
- Himeko Murata, the commander-in-chief of the Valkyrie Squad Fifth Platoon and is the superior officer of Kiana, Mei and Bronya, is a woman who Aenlisted in the Honkai Fighting Strategy Unit Training Program a year after the death of her father, in order to find out the truth. She later became a very distinguished combatant and commander with the rank of Major. Himeko takes her job very seriously. She considers herself a warrior who fights Honkai beasts and protects innocent lives. Himeko is very headstrong, to the point where some may consider her reckless. She will go out of her way to act strong in front of her comrades to inspire them to keep fighting.
- Fu Hua, class monitor of St. Freya High, is a strict and studious girl. Despite her serious and no-nonsense personality, it's clear that she cares about the people around her. Chapter 20 also reveals that long ago, she used to be rather ruthless when it comes to fighting Honkai threats, with her motto of "no mercy for the corrupted". Even in the present, she gets to beat up Kiana in the "Moon Shadow" manga and in ch. 6 of the game when the latter shows signs of Honkai corruption i.e she starts awakening as a Herrscher. In ch. 11-EX, even after realizing her mistake (being duped by Otto to bring Kiana to him, so he can awaken her fully as a Herrscher), she still advises Kiana on not confronting the Honkai at all as she doesn't want Herrscher of the Void to be awakened again. But when Kiana is Driven to Suicide to stop the Herrscher inside her, Fu Hua instead stops her, even though it'll be in line with Fu Hua's old "philosophy", as Fu Hua cares enough for her and Himeko's wishes for her. So Fu Hua chooses to help Kiana in her whole "mission" as much as she can, primarily by assisting her in controlling the latter's Herrscher powers.
- The character designs are also incredibly creative and just pleasant to look at, especially for the Herrschers and Valkyries' Battlesuits.
- The soundtracks, such as Starfall, Dual Ego, Nightglow, Cyberangel, Lament of the Fallen, and Befall (just for a few examples) are simply phenomenal.
- The Dorms have chibi versions of the characters doing cute things with an incredibly peaceful lullaby as a background music, which probably a good way to cure depression and fatigue. And watching the chibis get up to their antics is just adorable.
- The spinoff comic and anime "Cooking with Valkyries" will help you ease your heart. With no shortage of endearingly heartwarming and funny scenes, on top of the mouthwateringly tasty cooking scenes.
- Certain plot aspects can get repetitive overtime.
- Wendy, Ana Schariac, and Owl were all interesting characters who unfortunately, didn't get enough screen time to fully build their characters. making them feel like wasted potentials for characters.
- The game being censored, namely the removal of the ability to touch the Valkyries on the main menu on the CN, KR and Global version has been a rather contentious issues within the game’s fanbase. Some people don’t mind not having the feature, while others swear off playing the Global version because of its removal.
- Some of the game's combat features are too similar to Bayonetta, making it a bit of a Bayonetta clone.
The game first attracted a large fanbase in Asia before spreading globally: first released in China in late 2016, it reached 1 million downloads in Japan 11 days after release, and IGN reported that Honkai Impact 3rd gathered a total of 35 million downloads worldwide as of March 28, 2018. The game has been released in Korea, Taiwan, Southeast Asia, North America, and Europe, and supports multiple languages including Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, English, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, French, German, and Indonesian.