Vanquish (ヴァンキッシュ Vankisshu) is a third-person shooter by PlatinumGames and Sega, released in 2010 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. A PC port was released on May 25, 2017 with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One ports released later on February 18, 2020.
The government of the Russian Federation has been taken over by the Order of the Russian Star, whose robotic army then takes over an American space O’Neill Cylinder colony with the intention of weaponizing it. After harnessing the colony’s solar energy into a blast wave that destroys San Francisco, the Order demands the American government to surrender to them, or they will destroy New York City, their next target.
The US government responds by sending in Bravo Company, a US Marine task force, led by Lieutenant Colonel Robert Burns, to retake the colony. Accompanying them is DARPA agent Sam Gideon, who is equipped with an Augmented Reaction Suit.
Why It Rocks
- Extremely awesome and fast-paced combat, with bullet hell shoot 'em up and beat 'em up elements.
- Stunning graphics.
- Solid game-play.
- The ability to use sliding-boost that can also go into slow motion/bullet time mode. Said slow motion mode is also activated if you’re dying.
- Awesome quick-time events that involve over-the-top stunts.
- Easily destructible cover, forcing you to be always on the move. The game discourages you from taking cover, as doing so will penalize your score.
- Catchy and awesome soundtrack.
- You can carry up to three weapons that can be upgraded if their ammunition is full. You can also carry two types of grenades.
- You can save injured allies to earn weapons or upgrades.
- A creative closing credits where you shoot asteroids with the developers’ names and faces.
- The game's console versions are locked at 30 FPS and usually run below 30 FPS. This is thankfully fixed in the PC, PS4 & Xbox One versions, which have no frame rate limit. It also adds other graphical enhancements to the game, including higher resolutions.
- Bad voice acting.
- Short campaign.
- The game is visually inspired by the anime Casshan for its feeling of speed.