World of Warcraft
World of Warcraft is the longest running MMORPG in the world, having been made in 2004 by Blizzard and is still running with seven expansion sets, The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria, Warlords of Draenor and Legion, and Battle for Azeroth.
- The classic World of Warcraft didn't really have much of a story but had different storylines for each major patch such as defeating Ragnaros or the Old God, Cthun.
- The Burning Crusade: After demons emerge from the Dark Portal, the Adventurers must stand against the Burning Legion as well as defeat Illidan Stormrage and save all of Azeroth from Kil'Jaeden.
- Wrath of the Lich King: After defeating Kil'Jaeden, the Adventures must now face off against the Scourge and take down the Lich King, Arthas. After defeating Arthas and Bolvar Fordragon taking his place to keep the Scourge in check, a twilight dragon heralds the return of a powerful evil.
- Cataclysm: Sometime after the defeat of the Scourge, the Twilight's Hammer have allied themselves with the evil Deathwing, whose return has caused a second Sundering of Azeroth. Adventurers must find a way to destroy Deathwing or the Hour of Twilight will end all life.
- Mists of Pandaria: Shortly after Deathwing's destruction, the Alliance and Horde go to war against one another and eventually rediscover the lost continent of Pandaria. Taking their war there awakens an ancient evil known as the Sha. Allying themselves with the Pandaren, the Alliance and the Horde must defeat the Sha Primes and stop Garrosh from harnessing their power.
- Warlords of Draenor: After defeating Garrosh and destroying the Heart of Y'Shaarj ending the curse of the Sha, Garrosh escapes custody and with the aid of a bronze dragon, creates an alternate timeline in Draenor, and along with Grommash Hellscream, forms the Iron Horde to conquer Azeroth. Adventures must now venture into a savage land and stop history from repeating itself.
- Legion: The tomb of Sargeras has been opened and the Burning Legion is once again invading Azeroth with a force even greater than what was seen in the War of the Ancients. Adventures must now gather powerful weapons before the demons summon their leader and all of Azeroth is lost.
Why It Rocks
- hundreds of thousands of quests.
- Play as either the Alliance or Horde.
- Each race has different abilities that are useful for combat, PVP, and crafting
- Numerous crafting skills. Primary crafting skills are: Blacksmithing, Enchanting, Alchemy, Jewelcrafting (introduced in The Burning Crusade), Engineering, Inscription (introduced in Wrath of the Lich King), Tailoring, and Leatherworking. Secondary crafting skills are Cooking, First Aid, and Archaeology (introduced in Cataclysm).
- Gathering skills include: skinning, herbalism, mining, and fishing.
- Tons of recipes for each crafting skill.
- Joining a guild to work alongside other players allows players to make friends and aid each other.
- The Old Gods are heavily inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft.
- Each expansion has a unique storyline and raises the level cap and adds new features.
- Very popular with animators working with Machinima. One of the popular examples include "Make Love, Not Warcraft", the Season 10 episode of South Park.
- Areas are vast and capable of full exploration with beautiful scenery.
- The lore is very extensive and entertaining to read.
- Spawned the Leeroy Jenkins meme.
- It uses pop culture references in a unique way.
- Players of Warcraft III and the older games did not like the change from RTS to MMORPG, and as a result a lot of them never bothered moving to this game.
- With the exception of Thrall, none of the voice actors from 3 returned to reprise their roles.
- Due to how addictive the game is, it resulted in many player deaths, literally.
- Also due to how addictive it is, Henry Cavil (Actor who plays the Witcher in the show and Superman in the DCEU) almost lost the role of Superman as a result.
- With numerous players, you can run into massive jerks (a problem with online multiplayer in general).
- A subscription can be very expensive, costing about $15 a month, about the cost of a full price triple a game in just four months, and it gets paid expansions and for a highly addictive game.
- The game can get very repetitive at times due to the extensive grinding being a main point of the gameplay.
- Big chunks of the game's lore is told through real life books that need to be purchased separately, which impacts overall enjoyment of the main game's storyline.
- It has been going downhill since Mists of Pandaria, as the game became more simple, and a bunch of weak and unnecessary updates were added.
- "Mists of Pandaria" and "Warlords of Draenor" are considered to be the weakest expansions.
- The Goldshire Inn on the server "Moon Guard" is a nightmare!
World of Warcraft is often considered one of the best video games ever made and at its peak had over 11 million gamers playing it. However, due to its longevity, World of Warcraft slowly declined in popularity and slowly players began leaving the game. The game currently has around 5 million players.
World of Warcraft got number 1, while Diablo II, another game by Blizzard got number 7.