Ys: Memories of Celcetta
Ys: Memories of Celcetta is an action RPG released on the PlayStation Vita in 2012 for Japan, 2013, in NA, And Europe in 2014. It was released in China for Windows in 2015. It was developed by Nihon Falco and published in Japan by Nihon Falcom, XSEED Games for NA, and NIS America for Europe. It is the third game in the series to be considered Ys IV, after Ys IV: Mask of the Sun and Ys IV: the Dawn of Ys.
Adol Christin having been one of the first people known to leave the forest of Celcetta, develops amnesia and is found by an information dealer named Duren. Having been one of the first to enter the mysterious forest and return, Adol is hired to complete a map of the forest. Duren accompanies him supposedly for the reward and awaken Adol's memories and solve a mystery surrounding the forest that occurred 800 years ago.
Why It Rocks
- Six characters: Adol, Duren, Karna, Ozma, Calilca, and Frieda.
- Three major attack styles: Strike, Pierce, and Slash. There are several enemies that are weak against one type of attack and resistant towards the other two. Adol and Frieda are slash types, Duren and Calilca are strike types, and Ozma and Karna are pierce types.
- Weapons and armor can be upgraded with minerals and organic materials.
- Amulets can be crafted at a store with the resources you find in the game.
- Several sidequests and sidejobs. One set of sidequests can net you the best weapons and armor in the game.
- In order to get 100% game completion (and the Platinum Trophy), you need to play the game at least twice to get every item.
- Good story!
- Great music!
- Numerous skills to acquire.
- Each skill can be leveled up.
- The Silver Anniversary Edition contains a 3 CD soundtracks with a large amount of music from the entire Ys franchise, a 20.5 inch long, 12 inch high cloth map of Celcetta, a guide/artwork book, and a compass.
- Considered the canon version of Ys IV.
- The ending is horrible. (Grust removed the game from his Vita after getting the Platinum Trophy.)
The game has a rating of around 4.26 on GameFAQs.
- Several trophies in the game state that you will need to play as extensively as one of the characters. To be more specific, the goal to get these trophies is to play as one of the characters for five full hours. A trick to get these trophies easily for PSN is to use a rubber band, go to an area with no monsters, position the character so he or she always goes to the right, and place the rubber band between the two analog sticks so the left stick is constantly pushed to the right.
- Skills level up regardless of whether or not you hit an enemy. Because of this, one of the best ways to level up a character's skill is to maximize your skill points and spam the skill.