Ys Seven is a Japanese action role-playing game developed and published by the Nihon Falcom Corporation and the seventh installment in the Ys video game series.
It was released in Japan during 2009 for the Sony PlayStation Portable and was released by XSEED Games in North America on August 17, 2010. The game was released for Microsoft Windows in China on June 20, 2012.
Why It Rocks
- Unlike the other Ys games, in Ys Seven you get to control a whole party of 7 characters.
- The only Ys game in which the player can play without Adol (he can be selected as a party member).
- Amazing graphics.
- It has RPG elements, but plays more like a hack and slash game.
- Engaging combat and non stop action.
- Good story and dialogue.
- Awesome soundtrack.
- Beautiful locations, from forests to volcanoes and deserts.
- A temple visiting mechanic akin from the Zelda series.
- Amazing plot twists.
- A robust cast of characters, from the likable and cheerful Elk to the energetic and friendly Dogi.
- Geis from Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim returns and can be recruited as a party member!
The game received generally positive reviews. Ys Seven was praised for the game's skill and battle system, considered "unlike any JRPG played in recent memory.
Praise was also receiver for the boss battles, which were considered surprising, enjoyable and require extreme focus to beat."
RPGamer awarded Ys Seven "Best PSP RPG of 2010". RPGFan named it "Overall Best RPG of E3 that same year.